Akashe Jyotsna.....

I had read this poem after watching Hey Ram and forgot to capture the beauty of the lyrics written by Jibonanda Das, probably mesmerised by the piano recital composed by Illayaraja (I am not sure whether it was stephen devasi who played the piece for IRaja - Nee partha paravaikku or Nandri...)

The original lines of the bengali poem is described here (which was recited by Rani Mukherjee in the film)...

Akashe jyotsna
Phuler pathe chita baagher gayer karam
Hridoy amar horin jano
Ratrer ei niraboder bhetor, kondike cholechi?
Rupali paatar chaya amar shorire
Kothao kono horin neyi
Aar joto door jaayee, kaashter moton banka chaand
Shesh shonale horin, shorsho khete niyeche jano
Taar par dhire dhire dube jaache
Shata shata mrigedaar choker ghumer andhokaarer bhetor

The translation goes here....

Moonlight in the sky
On the Forest Trail the Scent of the Leopard
My Heart is like Deer
In the Silence of this night, which way am I going?
The silvery shadow of leaves on my body
No more deer anywhere
As far as I go I see the moon bent like a sickle
Cutting the last golden deer-grain
Then sinking slowly
Into the darkness of all the sleep
In the eyes of a 100 does.

I was floored by a particular line which had the lyrical beauty - "Ratrer ei niraboder bhetor, kondike cholechi?" - In the Silence of this night, which way am I going?

~Lakshman

Comments

Triya said…
good one. I have been looking for the lyrics and translation for a while now..
thanks a lot boss... Nice work. Have been looking for these for a while now.

KAMAL IS GOD.

So iS ilayaraja
Keerthi Varma said…
I was searching for this for the past 5 years. Finally, I got it. ya ho hooooooo, Thank you sooooooo much.
Keerthi Varma said…
I was searching for this for the past 5 years. Finally, I got it. hey ho hooooooo. Thank you sooooo much.
Selva said…
awesomes , just fell for !!!
my fav - "Aar joto door jaayee, kaashter moton banka chaand"
Unknown said…
Our favorite lines in the poem are same. Hi-5 on that!
Unknown said…
thnq dear for posting this exquisite poem by jibhanand das
Yasar said…
the piano played by VIJI MAUAEL
Unknown said…
Thanks alot.. tried and atlast got the poem here.
Unknown said…
Thanks

Popular posts from this blog

Paatu Paadava....

Pichai Patram (Bhikshai Patra)- Lyrics