Where were you all these days Kuntalavarali ??....

The first time, if at all I do remember, I heard this Raaga in Trichy when a girl played a beautifully krithi on her veena in one of the competitions and I came to know from her that that was of a Raaga Kuntalavarali. That was my first crush for Kuntalavarali....probably like many a love story ours ended there without much fanfare.

Last evening I was listening to Ganesha Pancharatnam by MS Amma and the fourth stanza of the song rang bells to me again after so many years. Its the same Kuntalavarali which I missed for so many years...listen to the 4th stanza of this song, you would love the raaga (for people who can't appreciate the beauty just listen to the tune...its an absolute gem of a rendition)...

watch out for these lyrics:

Akimchanaarti Marjanam Chirantanokti Bhaajanam
Puraari Poorva Nandanam Suraari Garva Charvanam
Prapancha Naasha Bheeshanam Dhananjayaadi Bhushanam
Kapola Daana Vaaranam Bhajaey Puraana Vaaranam.



This video has lots of Ganesha Idols (which I adore and the best part one of the ganesh is actually blinking ganesh-a...)

Coming back to the Raaga....the second piece which I would love to refer to the song "Oru Murai Vandhu Parthayo" was from the film ManichitraThazhu...This song was one of the best songs I have heard and seen where picturisation add beauty to the song rendered by the Vintage voice of KS Chitra and KJ Yesudas.

The beauty of this raaga it is very much on the lines of Kamas (at the first look as being the Janya (Child raaga) of HariKhamboji...). The place where KJY sings the following lines....

Anganamaar moulee mani
Thinkalaasye chaarusheele
Naagavallee manonmanee
Raama naadhan thedum baale



MG Radhakrishnan has to be saluted for bringing the lovely touch of western classical strings (it reminded me of few traces of Shankarabharanam...), but to add on top of this you need to enjoy the dance of the duo (Shobana and the guy) - it resembled me of synchronised swimming / synchronised gymanstics...

This is a classical version of the Sara Sara Samarai (Tyagaraja song by Manasa Ramesh.

Comments

Ayatekshana said…
Anganamaar moulee mani
Thinkalaasye chaarusheele
Naagavallee manonmanee
Raama naadhan thedum baale

These lines are sung in Kedaram I think.
Any idea what is the meaning of the above lines..Are they in Sanskrit

Popular posts from this blog

Akashe Jyotsna.....

Paatu Paadava....

Pichai Patram (Bhikshai Patra)- Lyrics